Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday: A Sunken and Broken Tombstone



I'm posting a little bit later for this Tombstone Tuesday because I was busy earlier with school related business. The photographs above are of a tombstone in Placeway/Whitcomb Cemetery where it appears as though the grave maker has broken into two. The top appears to be in front the base, and it looks like it is sinking into the ground. I cannot read whose name is on the stone because it is sunken. I think I would have had to remove the grass from the stone, and as I did not want to risk destroying the stone, I chose not to try and uncover the name. I'll have to look and see if a transcription was done of this cemetery, and then I might be able to determine who is buried there. Of course, I won't be able to do so anytime soon because I am back at school, and I won't have very much time to research the cemetery.

1 comment:

Greta Koehl said...

On vacation I encountered a number of tombstones like this one that are partially or fully obscured. They are so intriguing, but like you, I did not want to disturb the stone.