Thursday, March 12, 2009

Searching For My Ancestor's Grave: A Wild Goose Chase, Part Four

In my previous post, I left off as my grandfather and I were heading to the Three Rivers Public Library. We were hoping that we would be able to view some old funeral home records held at the library and that those records would provide some answers as to where our ancestor was buried.

We arrived at the library, and went over to the desk to ask one of the librarians about the funeral home records. The librarian claimed that the library did not have the funeral records, and then demanded to know who told us about the library's holding of old funeral records. After explaining that one of the funeral homes had informed us about the old records, the librarian informed us that she did not know anything about them. (Whenever I recall this incident, I always cringe because I feel we probably asked the questions in the wrong way, thereby angering the librarian. Of course, I could be wrong, but I still believe the fault probably lies with us. So, when I think about this, I always feel embarrassed because I feel we could have possibly avoided offending the librarian.)

After talking to the librarian, we went over to the local history room, and I was able to find the funeral records. Unfortunately, I discovered that the funeral records only covered the decades of the 1910s and 1920s and not the 1940s, as we needed.

So, with the determination that that lead was a dead end, we decided to visit the other funeral home on the list I was given. In the next post, I will write about our visit with the second funeral home. Stay tuned for the next post ...

No comments: